Jett Williams III
Jett Williams is a trial lawyer and has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in complex commercial litigation for over thirty-five years. He has tried a substantial number of cases in both state and federal courts throughout Texas, and he has tried matters before arbitration panels across the country. His extensive experience in the trial and arbitration of business and commercial disputes includes matters involving oil and gas, construction, real estate, commercial transactions, securities and investments, intellectual property, banking and finance, insurance coverage, professional liability, and employment. In addition, Jett handles appellate matters and has argued many appeals before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals and various Texas appellate courts. Furthermore, Jett is a trained and certified mediator, and often brings his extensive trial experience to bear in assisting others with the resolution of their disputes.
Jett has successfully obtained verdicts awarding his clients tens of millions of dollars, and he has successfully defended many clients in “bet the company” litigation.
Previously, Jett practiced law for many years with John Luke “Jack” McConn, Jr. at McConn & Williams, L.L.P.
- Civil Litigation
- Civil Appeals
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Oil & Gas Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Complex and Multi-District Litigation
- Adversary Proceedings related to Bankruptcy
- Fraud and Fraudulent Transfer Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Commercial Transactions
- Securities Litigation
- Intellectual Property & Trade Secrets
- Banking & Finance Litigation
- Insurance Coverage & Litigation
- Professional Liability
- Labor and Employment Law
- Mediation and Arbitration
- Member of the trial team that successfully obtained a $74 million jury verdict and $106 million judgment in Harris County District Court in a case involving breach of confidentiality and non-circumvention agreements relating to an oil and gas field in Kazakhstan.
- Represented a corporate plaintiff in securing a $69 million jury verdict a breach of contract-to-lend case involving securitization of consumer debt. This verdict stood at the time of the award as one the largest ever rendered in Travis County, Texas.
- Successfully negotiated a multi-million-dollar settlement on behalf of multiple plaintiffs in a series of securities fraud cases involving the defendants’ alleged failure to disclose accurate and complete information regarding international offshore oil and gas properties.
- Successfully negotiated a multi-million-dollar settlement on behalf of multiple plaintiffs in a series of claims based upon several insurers’ failure to properly pay claims made under policies insuring consumer loans against default or deficiency.
- University of Houston, J.D. (1984)
- University of Texas, B.A., English (1981)
- St. John’s School (1977)
Jett has been admitted to the bar in several courts, allowing him to operate in state and federal courts.
- Texas (1985)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit (1986)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas (1986)
- I am (or have in the past been) admitted to the USDCs for the Eastern, Northern, and Western Districts of Texas
Jett maintains membership in several professional organizations.
- American Board of Trial Advocates (“ABOTA”)
- State Bar of Texas (Sections: Litigation; Oil, Gas, and Energy Resources Law; Alternative Dispute Resolution)
- Houston Bar Association (Sections: Litigation; Energy Law; Appellate Practice; Alternative Dispute Resolution)
- American Bar Association (Sections: Litigation; Environmental & Energy Litigation; Antitrust Litigation; Business Torts and Unfair Competition; Dispute Resolution)
Only a select number of attorneys, including Jett, receive the following honor.
- Rated AV (Preeminent) by Martindale-Hubbell (since 1996)
- Super Lawyers, Business Litigation
- American Mensa
- H Magazine Best lawyers
- Houstonia’s Top Lawyers