Contested Guardianships

Our Houston Guardianship Attorneys Can Help with Contested Guardianship Problems

People sometimes lose the ability to handle their day-to-day affairs. Incapacity can endanger individuals, whether it comes on gradually or suddenly. When help is needed, a guardian might volunteer or be appointed by a judge. Guardianship is intended to help protect the proposed Ward while also protecting their rights.

In Texas, several types of guardianship are available:
  • Guardian of the person, full or limited. The guardian would make all personal decisions for the ward.
  • Guardian of the estate, full or limited. This type of guardian handles the Ward’s financial affairs.
  • Guardian of the person and the estate. The guardian handles both personal and financial decisions.
  • Temporary guardianship. When the proposed Ward is in immediate danger, courts may appoint a temporary guardianship. However, courts may appoint a permanent guardian if it becomes apparent that the Ward needs one.

It seems like a guardianship would be a good way to take care of someone who needs help.

So, what is a contested guardianship?

Sometimes a Guardianship Is Not in the Ward’s Best Interests

Our guardianship system contains processes to safeguard vulnerable Wards. However, it’s still critical to scrutinize guardianships and contest guardianships that have problems.

For example, you might challenge a guardianship because the Ward simply does not need a guardian. Generally, it’s best if people handle their own affairs as long as they can.

A Ward’s friends or family may feel a contested guardianship is in order based on the person selected to serve. The proposed guardian may be unsuitable to serve. In some cases, friends of the Ward might feel the proposed guardian might not deal honestly with Wards or their property.

Guardianships fill a need, but sometimes issues arise that must be taken to court.

Call a Houston Contested Guardianship Lawyer for Advice

At Henke & Williams, we take contested guardianships seriously. We use years of experience and advanced training to protect Ward’s to the fullest extent possible.

Interested parties can contest the need for guardianship. To set up a consultation, call (713) 940-4500 or use our convenient Contact Form.

Font Resize